Our Church History

StPhilipsBaptismHistory of Our Church

At a meeting in mid-summer of 1899 in a little school house on the corner of 84th Street and 11th Avenue, it was decided to establish a parish of the Episcopal Church in the growing community of Dyker Heights.

 

With the help of The Rev. John Henri Sattig, Curate of All Saints, Brooklyn, soon to become the first Rector of St. Philip's, a position he held for the next 30 years, plans were laid for the establishment of the parish to serve the growing planned community of Dyker Heights.


According to local historian Christian J. Zaino, M.D., founder of the Dyker Heights Historical Society, in "September of 1899, [Walter Loveridge] Johnson, [the developer of Dyker Heights,] donated the 100×100 lot of land on which St. Philips was built. The Brooklyn Eagle wrote on September 20, 1899 that the church was organized in April of 1899. The article explained that The Ladies’ Guild of the Church of St. Phillipe-by-the-Sea held a “weighing party” at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Moller, (NW corner of 85th and 11th Ave). Admission into the party cost one-half cent per pound. The money was used for the building fund of St. Phillipe-bythe-Sea, which later became known simply as St. Philips."

 

With the generosity of soon-to-be parishioners and Mr. Johnson, within months a building was erected and ready so that on Palm Sunday, 1900, the first service was held.


The church's beautiful Tiffany Studios Sanctuary windows on the altar, shown on our homepage, were donated by Mr. Johnson in memory of his daughter, who passed away at 16 years of age in 1918.

 

Our present building is the original structure. The steeple was added in 1907. In this garden like setting, St. Philips became known as “The Little Country Church on the Hill”.

 

In 1907, a house behind the Church on 80th Street was purchased; it served then as it does now as the Rectory.


Property separating the two buildings was purchased and a parish hall was built and dedicated on November 5, 1922. “Huntington Hall” now serves as the coffee hour and fellowship meeting place after every Sunday Eucharist. The Parish permits the use of its Hall for the benefit of the local community, to be used for various meetings of organizations serving the community.

 

We invite you to learn more about the history of Dyker Heights and the research of Dr. Zaino, by visiting the Dyker Heights Civic Association website. Click here DHCA for the link to the history page of the the DHCA website.

 

© 2017 St. Philip's Episcopal Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community