A Brief History
At a meeting in mid-summer of 1899 in a little school house on the corner of 84th Street and 11th Avenue, it was decided to establish a Parish of the Episcopal Church in the growing community of Dyker Heights.
With the help of The Rev. John Henri Sattig, Curate of All Saints, Brooklyn, and with the generosity of the soon to be parishioners of the new Church, funds were raised, property purchased and donated, construction of a Church building began.
Within months, a building was erected and ready so that on Palm Sunday, 1900, the first service was held.
Our present building is the original structure. The Steeple was added in 1907. In this garden like setting, St. Philips became known as “The Little Country Church on the Hill”.
In 1907, a house behind the Church on 80th Street was purchased; it served then as it does now as the Rectory. Property separating the two buildings was purchased and a parish hall was built. “Huntington Hall” now serves as the coffee hour and fellowship meeting place after every Sunday Eucharist, then on scheduled days for the use of the various meetings of organizations serving the community.
We invite you to join us in our worship services and to celebrate the Community of Faith of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.